THE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS MEET SCHOOL AND TERRITORY
An important process of rooting and spreading the discipline at a regional level was launched thanks to the World Masters Orienteering Championships. Through the project Orienteering!
The World Cup meets the School and the Territory was organized a series of initiatives aimed at involving students and training teachers.
The programming for the school activities of the Apulian delegation of the Italian Sports Orienteering Federation, financially supported by the WMOC Organizing Committee, covered the entire regional territory. From February to May the Provincial and Regional Finals of the Student Championships in orienteering race were held with the participation of an average of 200 students between middle and high schools in each stage. On Saturday 20th of May in Monopoli there will be the conclusion of this process with the final party for schools on the occasion of World Orienteering Day.
THE STAGES OF THE STUDENT CHAMPIONSHIPS
- 27th of April Lecce and Brindisi, historic center of Nardò (supervised by Prof. Fernando Vantaggiato)
- 28th of April Taranto, Torre Mattoni Woods of Ginosa Marina (supervised by Prof. Giovanni Materano)
- 29th of April Bari, Masseria Ruotolo Woods in Cassano delle Murge (supervised by Prof. Cosimo Demichele)
- 30th of April BAT (Barletta-Andria-Trani), Borgo Montegrosso of Andria (supervised by Prof. Giovanni Pistillo)
- 2nd of May Foggia, historical center of Ischitella (supervised by Prof. Mantuano and Prof. Trapani)
- 5th of May Regional Finals in Pineta Regina Park of Ginosa Marina, Puglia Regional School Office coordinated by Prof. Maria Montrone and supported by FISO Puglia delegate Prof. Marino Pellico
NATIONAL FINALISTS 23/26 MAY TRENTO
- Female Cadet Category: I.C. Locorotondo (BA) “Marconi-Oliva”
- Male Cadet Category: I.C. “Matino” (LE)
- Pupils Category: Liceo Classico Musicale “G. Palmieri ”Lecce
- Students Category: I.T. Brindisi “Carnaro-Marconi-Flacco-Belluzzi”
- TRAIL-O 1st Degree: S.M.S. “Deledda-Bosco” Ginosa (TA)
Furthermore, two training courses were organized according to the FISO Technical and Training Center Regulations. The first took place in Alberobello at the IISS Basile Caramia Gigante with 48 teachers, who experimented on the field the preparation and management of the staff for the development of an event on the occasion of the Italian Cup races in Alberobello and Monopoli. The Gallipoli course, on the other hand, included practical exercises also in the Punta Pizzo Park, with a promotional competition at the end of the course in the adjacent wooded area.